OL ki sabzi | Suran ki sabzi | Yam curry | How to make yam curry | Learn how to make suran ki sabzi(yam curry) with step-by-step photos and video. Elephant foot yam is also known as ol, suran, jimikand. Suran ki sabzi is a spicy thin gravy-based curry. This curry is made with elephant food yam and its gravy is made with onions, ginger, garlic, tomato, and some spices. You can make this curry for lunch or dinner. And it also tastes delicious. Serve this suran ki sabzi with rice or roti. but I recommend, to serve with a bowl of rice.
How to make curry masala for this recipe?
In this curry, we are using a special masala paste. This masala paste is made with coriander seeds, cumin seeds, yellow mustard, black pepper, and some dry red chili. So, take all of these spices in a blender jar. Add 4 to5 tbsp of water and make a smooth paste. And your masala is ready. It gives a nice aroma, color, and flavor to the curry.
- Half Elephant foot yam(ol, suran)
- 4 to 5 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium size onion paste
- 1 tomato puree
- For masala(1 tbsp coriander seeds, ½ tbsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds, 7 to 8 black pepper, 4 to 5 dry red chilies)
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 medium size bowl water
- 4 to 5 dry mango slices/1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice/1 tsp mango powder
SOME OTHER CURRY RECIPES FROM THIS BLOG…
- Methi Matar Malai | Restaurant style recipe
- Paneer Bhuna Masala Bhurji | Paneer Bhurji
- No onion no garlic Paneer Masala | Jain Recipes
- Chana Masala | How To Make Chana Masala
- Capsicum Curry Recipe |Capsicum Masala Curry
- Matar Ke Chole Recipe | Matar Chole
- Gatte Ki Sabzi | Besan Gatte Ki Sabzi
- Aloo Sabzi for Puri | Puri Bhaji | Potato Curry for Puri Advertisement
- Bharwa karela | Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe
How to make suran ki sabzi?
First, grease your hands with some oil and take half yam or adjust it as per your need.
Cut them into thin slices then cut them in half.
Now transfer them to a saucepan with some water. Add 1 tbsp salt.
Boil the yam for 10 to 12 minutes on medium to high flame. Until it is completely cooked.
After 12 minutes take a piece of yam, insert a knife. If it goes smoothly, it is ready. Or not then cook for more.
Now turn off the heat and remove it from hot water. Rinse them with normal water. And peel the skin and brown spots of the yam. Set them aside.
For curry masala. take a bowl, add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, yellow mustard, black pepper, dry red chilies.
Grind them in a smooth paste with some water.
Take a pan, add oil. Heat it for 10 to 15 seconds. Add cumin and bay leaf. Sauté it for 5 seconds.
Add ginger garlic and onion paste.
Mix well and cook them for 4 to 5 minutes on medium to high flame.
Then add salt and turmeric.
Again cook them until it turns light golden in color.
Then add 2 to 3 tbsp masala paste. But do not use excess masala. Cook the masala for 7 to 8 minutes on medium flame.
After that add tomato puree and cook them for 4 to 5 minutes on medium flame.
Then ad boiled suran.
Mix well and cook them with curry for 6 to 7 minutes on medium to high flame.
After that add water. Mix well.
Add khatai(Tangy element) like dry mango slices. Or you can also use mango powder, lemon juice in place of dry mango. But do not skip this process.
Cover it and cook it for 10 to 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, it is ready. Turn off the heat and serve it warm with rice or roti.