Makki ki roti- Learn how to make makki ki roti with step by step photos and video. India has a wide variety of flatbread recipes and all of them are super easy to make. Without roti, our meal is incomplete and Makki ki roti is one of them. Makki ki roti is an unleavened flatbread that is made from corn flour. It is eaten in the Punjab region. It is mostly backed or cooked on Tava. Makki ki roti is made during winter and often served with Sarson da saag, or just topped with a lot of butter. It is also very healthy and gluten-free bread.
What is makki ki roti?
Makki ki roti is made with cornflour(maize flour). It is gluten-free and served with Sarson ka sag or butter. It is widely made during winter. it is the most popular flatbread from Punjabi cuisine. You can make them plain or add some seasoning like onions, chilies, salt, carom seeds, etc. you can eat plain roti with a sag or if you are adding some seasoning then you can eat them with butter. In both ways, it tastes delicious.
Tips and tricks to make perfect makki ki roti
- Use good quality cornflour. Do not use white corn flour which is cornstarch. Use yellow corn flour.
- Want to make perfect roti without breaking them, then knead a soft dough. Do not knead the dough hard. And shape the dough with your hands, because using your hands is make your work a lot easier. Then dust some flour and press with light hands and spread the dough.
- Always cook the roti on medium to high flame. Do not cook them on low flame.
- 2 cup of cornflour
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp carom seed
- ½ tsp onion seed
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 to 4 green chilies
- 170 to 200 ml water(as required)[if you want to make this roti plain, then skip the seasonings and take only flour and water]
How to make makki ki roti?
Take some cornflour. if you want to make this roti plain, then skip the seasonings and take only flour and water to make plain roti.
Add carom seeds and onion seeds.
Then add chopped onion, and chilies. Dry mix them.
Then add water.
Knead a soft dough. If your dough is hard then the roti may break while making. That’s why knead a soft dough.
Divide into pieces.
Sprinkle some flour on the working surface. Add a piece of dough.
And spread the roti with hands. Press it with light hands and spread the roti into a round shape, just like pizza dough. You can sprinkle more flour over it. It prevents it from sticking.
Heat a griddle or tava on a high flame for a minute. Then place the roti and cook for 2 to 3 minutes from both sides. Make sure to keep your flame from medium to high.
Now, add ghee/clarified butter on both sides. Toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Then remove it from Tava. Make all of them like this.
Makki ki roti is ready. Serve it with some butter, onions, and chili.
Some other recipes…
- Naan recipe
- Laccha Paratha Recipe | How To Make Multi-Layer Paratha
- Malai Paneer Korma Recipe| Paneer In White Gravy
- Hydrabadi Nizami Handi | How To Make Veg Handi
- Chana Masala | How To Make Chana Masala