Gajar ka halwa recipe with step by step photos and methods. You can also watch the video. Gajar ka halwa is a traditional dessert made with grated carrots with some milk, sugar. In Indian cuisine, it is a very popular sweet dish and especially made during winters or at wedding parties. Gajar is the Hindi word for carrot and halwa is like pudding. Gajar ka halwa is a quick and delicious pudding that can be made in hurry.
Without this warm, sweet, and comforting halwa, winter is incomplete for Indians. This is mostly made during winters because the carrots are much more flavorful and sweet than the regular ones. In winter, there are many kinds of carrots available in the market. You can use red carrots, purple carrots, or orange carrots. This is perfect for a small get-together, house party. You can serve it warm or chilled.
What is gajar ka halwa?
Gajar ka halwa is the popular pudding made with grated carrots which are simmered with some milk, sugar. Adding ghee/clarified butter enhances the flavor or aroma of the dish. For more flavor add cardamom powder and some chopped nuts like cashews, almonds, raisins, etc. You can serve it warm or chilled. There are many different ways of making halwa and every Indian has its own method to make this.
some other dessert recipes…
- Orange panna cotta | How to make panna cotta
- Almond Panna Cotta | Vegan Panna Cotta Recipe
- Banana Ice-cream | One-ingredient Recipe
- Banoffee pie in a jar | Deconstructed pie
- Brownie truffle | Filled with salted caramel
- Shortbread cookies recipe | Homemade cookies
Different ways of making halwa
- Traditional way: in this method, we need to cook the carrots with full-fat milk. In this post, I use this method. Scroll down to read the full recipe.
- With condensed milk: in this method, you need to alter the milk with condensed milk or with evaporated milk. Other methods will be the same as a traditional one.
- With khoya: you can also use khoya for this. First, you need to cook the grated carrots for 10 minutes on medium flame. Then add khoya with some milk. You can adjust the quantity of milk or khoya. It takes almost 25 to 30 minutes on low flame or until the liquid evaporates. Add cardamom powder and ghee mix well. Now it is ready to serve.
- Instant pot carrot halwa: this one is the easiest recipe. Here you need to cook the grated or cubed carrots(1 kg) with full-fat milk(250 to 300 ml) in a pressure cooker. Cook for 5 to 6 whistles. Then leave it to release the pressure and mash the carrots. Then add sugar, ghee, and mix well. Cook the halwa until the liquid evaporates. Add cardamom and nuts. Turn off the heat.
- Carrots (1 kg)
- Full-fat milk(600 ml)/evaporated milk(500 ml)
- Sugar 4 to 5 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoon ghee
- Chopped nuts
How to make gajar ka halwa?
First, wash and peel the outer skin of carrots.
Grate all the carrots with the help of grater or food processer.
Cook the carrots on low flame for 10 minutes.
If you want to use evaporated milk then take 1 liter of milk and evaporate it half like this.
Add milk into it and cook on medium flame.
Add cardamom power for flavor.
Add ghee and mix well. Cook for more 5 minutes.
Now add sugar. You can adjust the quantity of sugar. Cook the halwa until the liquid of sugar evaporates.
Then add chopped nut and mix well. It Is ready to serve.
You can serve it warm or chilled. It can also be stored in refrigerator for a week.
Tips for perfect halwa
- Use young carrots for halwa because young carrots are less fibrous than mature ones. Young carrots have a smooth and melt in the mouth texture. Always buy red and sweet carrots.
- Use full-fat milk for the extra creamy texture.
- Use cardamom powder to enhance the flavor of halwa. If you don’t have powder then take some pods and pound them in mortal pastel.
- Use heavy bottom pot or pan. It helps to prevent the halwa from sticking and burning.